Most co-working spaces will give you two main options when it comes to particular memberships: Hot-Desking, or Permanent Desking.
But if you’re new to the co-work life, how do you know which is best for you and your business/work model?
Let’s chat co-work desking, and see if we can find the best fit for you!
Arguably the most common choice between the two, this is the best option for those who are wanting a flexible place to work when they want to or need to. Quite simply, hot-desking allows you a space to spread out and work which, once you are done, you pick up all your belongings off and leave clean for the next person.
A come and go workplace! Pretty handy if you are wanting to just get your work out of the house and into a designated space to get shit done.
At Meraki, we offer the following perks to our hot-desking members:
- Unlimited 24/7 access with key code
- Delicious coffee or tea
- Fresh fruit
- Member’s kitchen with toaster, fridge, milk etc.
- Your choice of hot-desk seating
- Unlimited high-speed internet
- Printing/scanning files
- Meeting room access
- An inspiring work environment
- Access to our regular events and networking opportunities
But there are some cons to hot-desking that may have you considering if a permanent desk is more to your fancy:
- No specific allocated space. Hot-desking spots are on a first in, first served basis. This means you may not get your favourite desk every time you come in to work.
- Following on this, with the need to clear off your desk every day, it means you can’t fully set up with a desktop or second screen to create a more productive workflow - unless you’re willing to take it all with you at the end of your work day!
- Extras such as lockable drawers are at an extra cost if necessary for your work
Permanent desking is a great option for those who need a bit more stability to their workspace, but don’t need to or want to invest in a full office space. Plus it also allows for the great atmosphere and community that comes in with co-working space. Great alternatives for graphic designers, architects or anyone who needs the extra work features such as a desktop or multiple screens to divide their projects, or even for those who have a high-client turnover and want space for paperwork, contracts and extra bits and pieces to run your business. such as a lockbox.
A permanent desk generally is a larger, personalised desk space with the freedom to set up and customise as you see fit. Plus it also means you have the opportunity to just file away, close down and walk out the door without having to pack up and take everything with you.
At Meraki, we offer the following perks to our permanent-desking members:
- EVERYTHING our hot-desking members get in their package
- Your own permanent desk (customisable to your needs)
- A set of lockable drawers
- Additional promotional opportunities
As with hot-desking, there are some cons to permanent desking for you to consider:
- You have to deal with the initial set up and clean up if or when you decide to leave. More stuff = more work in this department
- As it is wholly your space, it is up to you to sort and clean it. The space you are using may not necessarily always be clean if you don’t clean it!
- A higher rate due to the nature of the membership - something to keep in mind if you are budget-minded.
That’s the gist of the main differences between permanent and hot-desking, and the perks of each that we offer to ensure you make the best choice for you. If you need any further information about Meraki’s co-working options, want to try out for a day, or begin a membership with either hot or permanent desk, then don’t hesitate to contact us on on ‘contact’ page.
We’d love to welcome you to the Meraki family!